icon rssicon linkedinicon facebook

Register as an Employer

By registering as an employer on EURES, you will be able to search for CVs matching your requirements and view, save, and organise candidates to make recruitment easier.


Register as a Jobseeker

By creating a EURES jobseeker account, you will be able to upload your CV and make it available for search by employers across Europe and much more.


If you are an EU/EEA National and about to start working in Malta for the first time, we have listed the main administrative steps you need to take care of below. They are listed in chronological order:


1. Obtaining a National Insurance Number. This is necessary in order to be insured under Malta’s social security system.  To apply for a national insurance number the employer or employee can do so online or the employee can visit one of the local social security branches. In order to apply, you will need to provide proof of employment (a work contract/promise of work) as well as photographic ID (passport ideally). For self-employed persons you will need to provide evidence of work.

2. Registering of Employment.Once you have the NI number the employer/self-employed person needs submit an engagement form to Jobsplus. This is because all employment in Malta legally needs to be registered with Jobsplus*. The employer is to also include a copy of the employee’s passport. Once the engagement form is processed both the employee and the employer will receive an acknowledgement letter/email. It is important that you check that all details listed are correct. You can find detailed information about the procedural requirements here

3. Residence Card Application. The employee can then apply for a residence card at Identity Malta. After 3 months of living in Malta, EU Nationals must apply for a residence card.  A residence card is only granted when an EU National is exercising a treaty right which means either – people who are working, people who are students, people who are economically self-sufficient (ie such as pensioners) and people who are dependants of other EU nationals. You can find information and forms on Identity Malta’s website. It is important that you note all the supporting documents you need to provide along with your application.  


* When an employment is terminated Jobsplus needs to be notified (by the employer) by a termination form. Again here both the employee and the employer will receive an acknowledgement letter/email. It is important that you check that all details are correct.


Information last updated: April 2020 



eures logo small

eu job days logo

your europe logo horz